There was no news regarding Compo Beach at the 9/12 Parks & Recreation Commission meeting.
The plan is to officially close out the season in October, compile all of the statistics on attendance etc., and then have a review at the November 14th meeting about what worked and what needs improvement.
Overall, we believe the residents were heard and Parks & Rec successfully executed a plan that restored the quality of life conditions at Compo back to where they had been in 2017 - - eliminating traffic jams, eliminating parking issues for residents, improving conditions for showers and bathrooms and trash pick up, and reducing overcrowding. A safer, cleaner environment was restored.
-Along with eliminating overcrowding came better public behavior and new rules about parking and tents certainly helped.
- We've been contacted by residents this summer overwhelming about the improved conditions versus the prior year.
- Also about some needed improvements:
- need for better police enforcement of the parking rules
- need for better enforcement of rules like glass on the beach which pose a danger
- need for a common sense solution to rules for playing on the beach
- need for showers to work better
- questions about when the lockers will be refurbished
- requests for a shady area in the playground and a second shade tree on South Beach
We are frequently asked why the Town no longer sifts the sand to remove rocks to make the beach more sandy/less rocky. They are no longer allowed to do that for environmental reasons as there is a species of protected snail that was being disturbed by that.
We have been asked if FOCB has a position on the project to build bathrooms on South Beach. We do not. In all of the comments we have received, there was no consensus in our data. People want them, and people oppose them. This item is not on our list. If you want to speak out pro or con, your next opportunity is the Board of Finance Meeting on October 3.
Keep in mind that work is supposed to begin this Fall on the South Beach bathroom and boardwalk project if all approvals have been secured, so that those improvements are ready in time for Summer 2019. The boardwalk project has already been approved by the Board of Finance to proceed to the RTM.
Let's hear from you. As always, we will compile all of your feedback and present it to the town this Fall. Drop us a note and let us know what you thought of Summer 2018, and any thoughts you have for Summer 2019!
Please plan on attending the November and December meetings if you feel strongly about any of the conditions or rules at the beach. Or email us your feedback with thoughts on this summer and how it is going so we can share them at the meeting. However, it is much more impactful if you appear in person to present your views.
1.We will continue to monitor the implementation of all of the planned improvements.
2. Email us with your photos, observations and thoughts about the the conditions of Compo Beach this summer.
3. Subscribe here and tell your friends
4. Follow us on Instagram and Facebook for news
5. We will keep collecting your comments and providing them anonymously to the Town
We Westport residents love Compo Beach!
Summer 2017 was one for the record books: record crowds, record traffic, record problems with garbage, bathrooms, bad behavior. We joined our voices and got the beach fixed for Summer 2018, now we want to keep it the crown jewel of Westport.
1. Maintain reasonable crowd sizes
2. Do not back up traffic to the beach
3. Ensure parking for residents
4. Enforce rules for public behavior and courtesy
5. Ensure services such as bathrooms, trash cans, and boat ramps are working and accessible
6. Maintain a safe, clean, environmentally sound beach
1. Meet with town leaders to raise our concerns
2. Provide them with feedback on any of their solutions
3. Organize residents to keep up our activity until issues are fixed
Sign up to be a member of our group! (your email address will not be shared)
Read our Friday site updates and emailed mini newsletters to stay updated, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram
191 Post Road West, Westport, CT 06880 USA
No. This is a non partisan initiative.
Yes. Weston residents have had long standing Westport beach privileges. This group has not been created to change that.
Yes, your comments and email address are known only to the site administrator. Feedback will be shared to the town anonymously. This email list will not be shared with anyone.
No! Compo Beach is a big revenue generator for the Town. It has not had enough of that revenue put back into it in the past to maintain it properly and it has been over stressed to generate even more revenue. We need to speak up and provide feedback ongoing.
Yes! Keep your thoughts and feedback coming!
Subscribe, spread the word, attend each Parks & Rec Commission Meeting and call/email to ask your RTM representative to support the goals of the Friends of Compo Beach