*****UPDATE From 1/16/19 Meeting-
Parks & Recreation Will NOT Be Proposing Price increases for Compo Beach for 2019!!!*****
copied from the LEGAL NOTICE OF MEETING
Notice is hereby given that the Westport Parks and Recreation Commission will hold a meeting Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 7:30 p.m. in conf. room #309 to consider the following:
1. Approval of Minutes: November 14, 2018
2. Public Comment
3. Reports of
• Boating Advisory Committee
• Golf Advisory Committee
• Parks Advisory Committee
• Racquets Advisory Committee
4. To take such action as the meeting may determine relative to approval of the 2019 Charity Golf Tournaments at Longshore Golf Club.
5. Synthetic Turf Fields and Staples Track Update (Discussion Only).
6. To take such action as the meeting may determine relative to recommended fee changes for Parks and Recreation programs.
7. To take such action as the meeting may determine relative to the proposed switch of holes #9 and #14 on Longshore Golf Course.
8. To take such action as the meeting may determine to approve the Parks and Recreation Commission meeting dates for February 2019 through January 2020.
9. Commissioners’ Report
10. Administrative Update
End of Legal Notice
The Friends of Compo Beach will continue to request, per your feedback:
- better, more consistent, police enforcement of the parking rules
- better enforcement of rules like glass on the beach which pose a danger
- a common sense solution to rules for playing on the beach
- new, improved lockers
- a shady sitting area in the playground and a second shade tree on South Beach
-less rocky sand
AND ABOVE ALL, to maintain the improvements achieved in Summer 2018!
In other news,
Work has begun already to:
-Install the South Beach boardwalk.
-Construct bathrooms near South Beach
These projects will be complete for Summer 2019.
Let's hear from you. As always, we will compile all of your feedback and present it to the town.
Please plan on attending the January 16 meeting at 7:30pm if you feel strongly about any of the conditions, or rules at the beach, or the 2019 proposed fees. It is much more impactful if you appear in person to present your views, but you can always email us as well.
1.We will continue to monitor the implementation of all of the planned improvements.
2. Email us with your photos, observations and thoughts about the the conditions of Compo Beach.
3. Subscribe here and tell your friends.
4. Follow us on Instagram and Facebook for news.
5. We will keep collecting your comments and providing them anonymously to the Town.
We Westport residents love Compo Beach!
Summer 2017 was one for the record books: record crowds, record traffic, record problems with garbage, bathrooms, bad behavior. We joined our voices and got the beach improved for Summer 2018, now we want to keep it the crown jewel of Westport.
1. Maintain reasonable crowd sizes
2. Do not back up traffic to the beach
3. Ensure parking for residents
4. Enforce rules for public behavior and courtesy
5. Ensure services such as bathrooms, trash cans, and boat ramps are working and accessible
6. Maintain a safe, clean, environmentally sound beach
1. Meet with town leaders to raise our concerns
2. Provide them with feedback on any of their solutions
3. Organize residents to keep up our activity until issues are fixed
Sign up to be a member of our group! (your email address will not be shared)
Read our Friday site updates and emailed mini newsletters to stay updated, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram
191 Post Road West, Westport, CT 06880 USA
No. This is a non partisan initiative.
Yes. Weston residents have had long standing Westport beach privileges. This group has not been created to change that.
Yes, your comments and email address are known only to the site administrator. Feedback will be shared to the town anonymously. This email list will not be shared with anyone.
No! Compo Beach is a big revenue generator for the Town. It has not had enough of that revenue put back into it in the past to maintain it properly and it has been over stressed to generate even more revenue. We need to speak up and provide feedback ongoing.
Yes! Keep your thoughts and feedback coming!
Subscribe, spread the word, attend each Parks & Rec Commission Meeting and call/email to ask your RTM representative to support the goals of the Friends of Compo Beach